Note To The Learner
This Learner Guide provides a comprehensive overview of the module. It is designed to improve the skills and knowledge of learners, and thus enabling them to effectively and efficiently complete specific tasks.
This Qualification is for any individual who is, or wishes to be, involved as an officer in the environmental management sector especially in the fields of environmental science, environmental management and waste management. While the focus of this Qualification is on the fields mentioned above, it is possible that other services or aspects could also be included in the qualification. The Qualification contains all the competencies, skills and values required by a learner who may wish to access a higher qualification within the environment sector.
The core component of the National Certificate: Environmental Management at NQF Level 5 contains general competencies that will help the learner acquire a broad and meaningful overview of the environment management sector before specialising in a particular field. The Elective component allows for streams of specialisations in environmental waste management, air quality management, water quality management, noise pollution and other related fields. The learner will acquire expanded knowledge, skills and insight into one of these streams.
This Qualification will add value to the learner's conceptual understanding of the field and work performance. It will also enhance the provision of service within the environmental management sector.
The Qualification will provide the broad knowledge, skills and values needed in the environmental management field and will facilitate access to, and mobility and progression within, education and training for learners who:
- Were previously disadvantaged.
- Have worked in this field for many years, but have no formal qualifications and would like to achieve this qualification through the process of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and/or formal study.
- Wish to extend their range of skills and knowledge and hence their competencies in environment management.
The Qualification has building blocks that can be developed further in qualifications at a higher level. It also focuses on the skills, knowledge, values and attitudes required to progress further. The intention is:
- To promote the development of knowledge, skills and values that are required for service excellence within the field of environmental management.
- To release the potential of people.
- To provide opportunities for people to explore different activities within the environmental sector.
Exit Level Outcomes:
- Describe the biophysical environment and the importance of developing an integrated waste management plan.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of integrated environment management tools.
- Includes but is not limited to environmental tools for planning, implementation, checking and stakeholder engagement.
- Apply the environment regulatory and ethical framework in the workplace.
- Develop an operational plan based on operational strategies for environmental issues.
Topic Elements To Be Covered Include:
- Module 1: Business Project Management
- Module 2: Integrated Waste Management
- Module 3: Environment Regulatory And Ethical Framework
- Module 4: Integrated Environmental Management
- Module 5: Incident Management And Remediation
Learners entering this qualification are assumed to be competent in: Communication at NQF level 2/Grade 10. Mathematical Literacy at NQF level 2 /Grade 10. It is recommended that learners have: Computer operating skills at NQF Level 2/Grade 10 or equivalent.