Note To The Learner
This Learner Guide provides a comprehensive overview of the module. It is designed to improve the skills and knowledge of learners, and thus enabling them to effectively and efficiently complete specific tasks.
The purpose of the qualification is to enable qualifying learners to apply the relevant competences required to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of a Local Government Councillor and therein:
- Act as representatives of the community they serve.
- Provide leadership roles in a council.
- Act as custodians or guardians of public finances.
The learning outcomes contained in this qualification are based on the competencies required to contribute to municipal processes from a councillor perspective. These competences relate to:
- Demonstrating an understanding of the interests of the people in a municipality.
- Demonstrating an understanding of the main issues in their municipality.
- Providing the link between the public and the council and ensuring primary loyalty to the public.
- Participating in policy making.
- Participating in decision-making pertaining to local government matters.
- Passing by laws.
- Giving direction to the related administration.
Exit Level Outcomes:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how Local Government functions.
- Fulfill the roles and responsibilities of councillors to achieve Local Government objectives.
- Apply municipal processes to the councillor function.
- Facilitate public participation and citizen involvement in Local Government processes.
Topic Elements To Be Covered Include:
- Module 1: Basic Mathematics
- Module 2: Communication Skills
- Module 3: Health in the Workspace
- Module 4: Project Management
- Module 5: Project Management
- Module 6: Project Management
- Module 7: Project Management
- Module 8: Project Management
- Learners entering this qualification may come from various backgrounds and will generally be persons, elected for the purpose of serving as a Local Government councillor in order to achieve municipal objectives.